Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Why I love facebook

My friend told me I had to join Facebook if I wanted people to know about the adoption. I had a visceral reaction. (It was similar to Frodo’s reaction when Gandalf sacrificed his life for his friends in the Mines of Moria. “Nooooooooo!!!!")

Maybe Facebook isn’t all that bad.

When we first found out that Cecilia would be our daughter, my computer savvy sister-in-law got on the computer immediately. Within minutes she had located a woman who had a connection with Cecilia’s orphanage. She contacted this woman on Facebook. The woman said she knew our daughter, but had a friend who had actually cared for Cecilia. She gave our contact information to the second woman. (Are you following this?) We waited, and waited. A few weeks ago the second woman contacted us. We immediately followed up with questions about our daughter’s health and the orphanage. It seemed, however, that we would not hear from her before we left for Peru.

Until the other night...

She sent an email with pictures of our daughter and confessed she was slow to respond because she wasn’t sure we were “for real.” She told me to look for her on... yes, you guessed it, Facebook. There we would find a friend of hers (the third woman) who is still in Huaraz working with Wycliff Bible Translators.

Long story, short... we just spoke to the third woman on the phone in Huaraz, Peru after she sent us a long message with her contact information on... well... you know.

This woman and her family have offered us a place to stay, a ride from the bus station, and a 5 year old playmate for Isabel. They are as excited about this adventure as we are. So many questions... so many prayers... one 26:10 minute conversation...

We are more ready to go than ever.

Friend me if you want. I’ve sold out:)

No comments:

Post a Comment