Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Now, where is his wife?

I'm here, I'm here. Those of you who know me are wondering when I'm going to speak up (or out). I'm usually the one jumping the gun, thinking quick, and consequently having to try and remove my feet from my mouth on various ocasions.

But I'm slow cooking this one.

I wanted to see her first. I wanted to feel in my arms how (little) she feels. To feel in my fingers her pin straight, thick, black hair (I've combed black children, white children, mixed children, Quetchua indian is new.).
And I did.

I also saw how feeding her will be a challenge. And she laughed with her mouth wide open... how many more surgeries will she need? She's 2 and about the size of an American 1 year old - which makes her look like a little fairy, if it wasn't because she was underfed and can't seem to gain weight... How much pain is she going to go through until we're out of the woods? How much speech therapy? Getting the theme?

If not, the theme is fear. I felt it like a dark dye permeating my fabric. Not eliminating compassion, certainty of the call, joy... just tainting it. Enough that my prayers are scattered and my praise is heavy and hard to lift, like wet cloth.

So it was pulling this trail of fear behind me that Mark, Isabel and I went to Huaraz's central square to look around and eat street food. It was packed with people selling grilled ox hearts on a stick, children running, a couple llamas chewing the cud, and a man singing off key, translated hymns through a megaphone.

But beyond that, encircling the whole city, are the snow capped mountains. And it was looking at them that I remember - or was so gently remimded, that the relief I was seeking was not going to be found in the central square. That is not where my help comes from.
That's also when I heard what hymn the preacher was singing and started singing along in my head. I don't know the words in English so I sang it in Portuguese. Ends up the translations were very different - almost 2 different themes. I grew up singing "Good Name, sweet faith, the hope for what is to come", and his Spanish was saying: "Jesus is for me the only hope of health." My daughter needs health. I need hope.

A stream of light did not break the clouds and zap my fear away. But fear was never a popular theme with Jesus. And then there are the mountains. I bowed my head, and said a Portuguese amen to his Spanish.

And it also ends up, the only words the two hymns had in common was Esperanza. Look it up.

10 comments:

  1. love you guys and miss you all terribly. can't wait till you're home! :) enjoy the beautiful mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful expression Luciana!!! Thanks for sharing where you're coming from!! So special!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the exact hymn you are talking about: "Nome bom, doce a fé -- a esperança do porvir..." In English the same lines go, "Precious name, oh how sweet, hope of earth and joy of heaven."

    We miss you and continue to pray for all four of you. When I read what you wrote about the mountains, in adition to Psalm 121 the first thing that came to mind was Psalm 125:2 "As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people, from this time forth and forevermore." You are all surrounded!

    Blessings,

    Nathanael

    ReplyDelete
  4. We miss you every day and can't wait to meet Rosa Maria Cecilia! It will keep getting better...even a newborn takes some time to get used to having around. We wish you every happiness in Peru!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So encouraged by what you said. May you all feel God's arms around you all, carrying you..
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friend, so good to read your voice. My heart has ached and rejoiced with each update. What a path you've taken, one that can only be tread because of calling and design. Gigi, Bob and I love checking the blog several times a day to stay in touch.

    Gigi has a couple things for Isa:
    "You are beautiful. I love you. You're still my best friend. How are you doing in Peru? Is it fun up there? How is your little sister doing? We love your sister. What do you do with your little sister? Bless over Peru. Have a good time there. Jesus, can you help the family and love them. Amen."

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me miss you all so much when I read these posts. I can hardly write with the tears coming from my eyes. I am amazed, and in the midst of this fear know that I said of you two just today, "They live out the gospel when it is not easy and they do it like no one I have ever known." So glad to call you sister. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words could never express the feelings I have about your journey on the adoption of Lea. You look alot like the Saviour as He ministered to the hurting people He came in contact with. You have taken on His chracter . I believe you will truly be blessed. Your life will never be the same. Its been a long ,hard road and you have passed the very difficult test'. I am anxious to see you and hug you tight' I am very blessed to call you my son and daughter. You are loved. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! We cannot wait to meet Lia. Safe travels my friends! Dan & "Rosa Maria" Johnson

    ReplyDelete