Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

The blessing of a stranger

Today we had the first visit with the psychologist who is following the adaptation of Cecilia and also our well being. Everything is going really well. She has a couple of regression symptoms - which is normal and desirable. At the orphanage, as much as the "tias" (aunties) loved those kids, autonomy is encouraged much too early for the sake of anything getting done. Lia fed herself with a spoon, so who knows how much actually went in. She also was put in her crib and was out, cold in minutes and without a word. For the last couple days she has wanted to be held while fed, and complained at being laid down to sleep.

That is all a good sign. Just never thought I'd be saying this...

As I grow used to her little face , her little sounds to communicate, her temperament, life seems more normal.

And then I take her out in the stroller.

I knew my discomfort radar was beeping, but it took me a whole day to put my finger on what was bugging me. Looks. Some people look discretely and look away politely. Some look at her, then up at me, then down at her again. Some can't help themselves and turn their heads as we pass each other in busy down town Lima. One lady in a little convenience store, stopped sweeping the floor to stare at her.

So I didn't leave my fear in Huaraz.

When Lia walked into that orphanage room for the first time, we balked. The pictures we had gotten had been of her looking straight on and did not do justice to the condition of her lips. A picture also can't show how small she really is. REALLY is. We might as well not have been prepared at all. We judge nobody (maybe their manners, but not them)

When we stopped for dinner, Lia started flirting with the restaurant owner who came out to our sidewalk table to talk to her.

"How old is she?"

"She's 2 and 4 months"

"She's a little pepper! Has she had her mouth operated on?"

"Yes, twice, but we're not finished yet."

"Yes, I can see." Then she put her hand on Lia's head

"God bless you, sweetheart. God bless you many times."

Here is something else I was not prepared for. The blessing of that stranger came also upon my head. What Lia needs, God has been providing since her birth. He has been preparing her (really) little heart, and won't quit the job and hand it over to us now. He is the one who will bless her (many times). And I am the lucky tool. Glory to God.

For somebody who likes control, it feels good to have so little.

That's a good sign. Just never thought I'd be saying that...

lp









7 comments:

  1. Mark & Lu. Thanks for the blog. It is great to see photos of you all and Lia.
    I will email with info. Blessings!
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, I could hardly see the words at the end of your post because of tears. Gladis was here with me, and I was translating some of the other posts for her. She sends greetings, and is SO happy to see (and hear about) Lia doing so well. In fact, we both thought that she looks like she's already gaining weight. Not sure if that's possible so soon, but she looks so cute in that first picture.
    So, hi from Gladis, and from my family. We'll keep up the prayers for all of you.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you can be at the place to be happy to not have control. Not so easy to be there!! Bless you guys as you are challenged in this way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just caught up on the whole blog. I am moved and blessed. God is shaping you together to belong to one another. We will be praying for you in family prayer tonight. Can't wait to welcome Lia home. What a precious life. And God saved the best family for her.

    We love you, Katherine for all the Ruchs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark and Lu, thank you for sharing your journey and your hearts with us via this blog. You ALL are in our prayers! So glad you are more "permanently" settled. The pictures are beautiful and your words transparent and transcedent--always pointing to the One who carries us all in His arms. Looking forward to meeting little Lia and seeing you all soon.

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beloved Poulterer Four! I just had my first opportunity to read all the blog posts and am so full of joy and sadness (the story about 14yr old Jesus wrecked me!) and pride that we know a family like yours that is so committed to the way of Jesus. We love Lia and cannot wait to welcome her to Resurrection and our family.

    We love you--you know that!

    Stewart for the Ruchs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the photo of Luciana's hand on Lia's tummy gives perspective on how small she is! Can't wait to meet her and welcome her to our family. Winfield Fawcetts

    ReplyDelete