Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Where did that come from?

Sometimes emotions can jump you. I was just walking down the hall, minding my own business and all of the sudden...

"So, you leave tomorrow?"

"Yeah. It's hard to believe."

"What does the process look like?"

As I was explaining that we will spend 5 weeks in Peru meeting our new daughter then taking her to live with us, He asked a question I hadn't been asked before. For some reason it took my emotions by surprise. I found myself choking back tears.

"How does she come back to the United States?"

"She will come on a Peruvian Passport with a visa, and the minute she steps on U.S. soil she will become an American Citizen...(gulp)"

I don't think he noticed. Class was about to start. I recovered pretty quickly.

Maybe it's because I'm more patriotic than I ever realized. Maybe it's because I understand what kind of privileges she will have with her new citizenship. Maybe it's because I know too many people who have fought so hard to come to this country, stuggled so deeply to stay in this country, sacrificed so much just to survive in this country.

Or maybe it's because as followers of Jesus we are called to welcome the widow, the orphan, and the alien with open arms. Cecilia is two out of three.

At least for now...

Whatever the reason, she will be home as soon as she steps off that plane.

Thank God...

mbp

1 comment:

  1. Mark, I have not had a chance to check your blog until now...and I don't see you often any more at school. I had no idea what an adventure you were undertaking! I wish you nothing but smooth sailing the next 5 weeks as your family grows together :)

    ReplyDelete