Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Bittersweet Day

Our first picture as a family of four!

We have been in Peru for a week. Yes... One week ago today we landed in Lima. The amount of emotions we have felt in the past week have been enough for a nine month pregnancy!

Tonight was the goodbye party at the orphanage. All the caregivers and some of the children spoke about their love for Cecilia. It was a bittersweet experience for all. The love they felt for her after taking care of her for the past two years was hard for some of them to express. She would not have lived if it hadn't been for their constant care, and we are truly grateful for them.

Lia and Isa are sleeping downstairs as I write this. Isa was thrilled to go to bed later than her little sister. When we called her from the merry-go-round at the orphanage we were expecting a protest. Instead she said,"Is it time to take my little sister home?" She also was telling Lia on the way home, "Tu ya vas a vivir en mi casa." ("You are coming to live in my house.")
We are not naive. We know things will not always be easy. We know there will be times that Isa will be embarrassed about the way her sister looks in front of her friends. But it's nice to know Isa is accepting Lia, and already growing quite fond of her.

The hardest thing for me tonight was seeing one of the boys, 13 year old Jesus, break down and cover his face for 10 minutes while the party continued around him. Anyone who knows me, knows I have a soft place in my heart for street kids (young boys who have had to survive the horrors of the streets that I will never know.)

Jesus reminded me immediately of one. The minute I walked into the orphanage I caught his eye, and he mine. Friendship began at that moment. it wasn't until a couple of days later that I found out that he had loved Lia as a little sister. He was the one who taught her to walk. He could get her to laugh when all we got were blank stares.

He cried hard.

I found him later hiding his tears in the kitchen. I hugged him and thanked him for all he had done for my daughter. I told him that he would not be forgotten. I asked his advice, telling him I had only known her for three days, and he had helped to raise her. And I told him that I wasn't supossed to be crying as the tears ran down my cheeks.

Fortunately, he is not up for adoption or I may have started scheming. Or should I say, unfortunately...

4 comments:

  1. Can't help but notice the Inca Kola sitting there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord. We are with you, friends. WITH YOU. Love, love, love. the Fawcetts of Winfield

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you guys. May the Lord bless you and smooth out the rough spots before you. May He give you all the strength and power you need as you blend your family and welcome this precious little girl into your home. He will. Like I said, I'm so proud of you.
    Love,
    michelle Knott

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful family of 4! I'm so happy to finally be able to read how this past week has gone, while we were out of town. You've been constantly on my mind and in our prayers. She DOES look like a little fairy. So tiny! So now do you stay there for more days or do you head back to Lima right away? Any news on the fingerprints?
    We will keep praying for the many adjustments and learning curve as you blend into the new Poulterer family. You are the perfect family for Cecilia--whatever the daily challenges present. God has seen you through and won't stop now. "...this is what the Lord says--he who created you...he who formed you: Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." Is. 43:1
    Blessings to the four of you.
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete