Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Homeless...

Luciana and I have both done enough "culture hopping" to know what's going on here...

It's called culture shock. We are ready to come home.

Yesterday we were "homeless" for 7 hours. They scheduled to shut off the electricity from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm to do maintenance in our part of the city. We have a key to the front door, and no key to the back door. The only way to get to the front door is an elevator. We left to go to the park through the back door, being careful not to latch it behind us. Assuming (This is where the culture clash comes in) that the doorman, janitor, or somebody had a key to the stairwell, we pulled this door tight behind us. It wasn't until after we got down the 6 flights of stairs that we found out that a key for that door does not exist.

I worked on the door for an hour or more with some "tools" to no avail.









Lia ended up sleeping in the stairwell until the electricity came back on.











We decided to relax while watching a movie; no Redbox here. I took a taxi to a street market where I could buy movies for less than a rental in The States. I trusted what I read on the back (Languages: English, Spanish, French). Las Adventuras de Sammy was just that... In Spanish. Well, at least I know that ABBA doesn't sing in Spanish. I brought the CD home for Luciana (She's a closet fan... or at least she was until this post.) I have no idea who sings on this CD, but Dancing Queen is actually La Reina del Baile! We had a good laugh, anyway.

We woke up this morning to realize when the electricity came back on the refrigerator did not. The light in the fridge was working and the motor was blowing air... it just wasn't cold. Since it's Sunday, I guess we'll have to wait till tomorrow to get this taken care of.

As I have been sitting here writing I heard loud squaking outside of our window.
SO... Maybe it's not all bad here.
mbp

1 comment:

  1. AYAYAYAYA!!!! It's happening to make sure you appreciate the "problems" you encounter back here! :) I have to say I was chuckling as I read this thinking back to my days in Argentina and how things like this would happen. I'm sure you'll get a good laugh at this at some point! :) But for now, just hang in there!! Hopefully one more week!

    ReplyDelete