Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chronic Pain

Luciana and my mother have gone to the grocery store. My father has taken his two granddaughters to the park. (He sketched this while the girls played.) I am here on the couch, flat on my back, listening to the construction on the highrise apartment building across the street.

And I'm annoyed. I'd much rather be with my father and the girls at the park, or even dodging the shopping carts in the aisles of the overly crowded grocery store. (They shop like they drive in Lima.) Luciana told me I had to stay home.

I've never known chronic pain. (The last time my back went out I was feeling great in less than a week.) My back went out on Saturday morning, and I'm having reminders of the kidney stone pain from two years ago.

And I act like it's the end of the world. ( I know some of you who actually deal with pain day in and day out are rolling your eyes at me right now. I deserve it.) I'm a big baby that way.

Then I think about Lia. What does she feel on a regular basis? How totally exasperating would it be for your food to go up your nose every time you eat? It's especially bad when she rubs her face hard, or puts her finger in her mouth and tries to pull something out. As parents we sit there helplessly waiting for her to sneeze. Maybe then she will find some relief... maybe.

Please pray for Lia as we learn how to relieve some of her discomfort. Doctor's appointments are already set up for the week we return. We are told that we will have a team of doctors (a cleft palate surgeon, an oral surgeon, and a cosmetic surgeon) all working together. It seems like there is a lot more pain to come before she will able to enjoy a meal the way that the rest of us do.

Once again, I am reminded of what a privelege it is to be chosen to serve this little girl. God has chosen us (that is, all of us...) to bless His child in ways that were not possible for her here.

The body of Christ. Thanks for being a part of it.

mbp

4 comments:

  1. Mark: I'm storming the heavens with prayers for relief of the pain. Lia is a beautiful little girl, and so is her Big Sister, Isa. You have been chosen for this very important role in both of their lives. May the Holy Spirit comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious to see your family. It has been a privilege to pray for you. We are friends of your parents and it is especially great to see them there in Peru with their granddaughters! We leave to see our family in Italy the 17th...and we are praying that you will be leaving to bring your family HOME on that day. God bless...Mike and Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to stop reading these posts at work. The way you are able to express brings tears to my eyes each time. Some for joy, some for sadness, some laughing with you and others crying for you. But ALWAYS a reminder of what God is doing in and through you, Luciana and Isa and so thankful that you are letting each of us in on your journey. And as always, a reminder to keep praying for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying today for quick paper work to get done and relief for your pain. Hopefully we will talk tonight at7pm if that still works for you. I cn't wait to meet my new neice. we love you all very much- Kim

    ReplyDelete